A Strong Foundation Creates a Successful School Year
The secret to success on the first few days, and for the remainder of school year, is having a plan! This plan should include laying a strong foundation. A strong foundation includes preparations for building and maintaining relationships, creating classroom routines, behavior management, communication and organization of your classroom supplies.
Much like a builder on a construction site, you classroom NEEDS a strong foundation in order to have a positive and strong impact for your students. Laying the foundation starts on minute one of day one. The first days will set the tone for the set the tone for the rest of the school year.
- How will students get to know you?
- How will you get to know your students?
- How will your students get to know one another?
- What routines do your students need to know?
- How will you teach them?
- How will they practice the routines?
- How will you prevent problem behavior?
- What are the student expectations?
- What is your philosophy?
- How will you co-construct the agreements/rules together?
- How will you encourage positive behavior?
- How will you promote all of the awesome things you are going to do this year?
- Will you use social media?
- How will you keep communication positive?
- How will you decorate your classroom?
- Where will you put supplies?
- What will be the best way to organize to keep your transitions efficient?
- How will students organize their supplies?
Click the image below to download the above guiding questions and a graphic organizer to record your thoughts. It's free! :)
If you are looking for more information on classroom routines, I would highly recommend checking out Teachers Pay Teachers. There are TONS of free checklists for routines and procedures for all grade levels.